Wednesday, August 9, 2023

1 Samuel 22 - Jesus, Our Refuge

1 Samuel 22 – Jesus, Our Refuge

 

Previously in 1 Samuel, we saw David flee from Saul into Philistine country, but made a stop in Nob beforehand. Ahimelech the priest gave David bread and the sword of Goliath, and David went on his way toward the Philistine city of Gath. When the Philistines recognized him, he became fearful. This great man of faith had a moment of weakness just as we all do at times. David pretended to be insane, and Achish drove him away.

As we pick up in chapter 22, David fled to the cave of Adullam, which looked up the valley of Elah where he had killed the giant. This would have been in the hill country of Judah, approximately half-way between Bethlehem and the Mediterranean Sea. The word Adullam means resting place or refuge, and based off the Psalms David wrote while there, we see a discouraged David seeking refuge and strength in his God. David had been stripped of everything, but the Lord was allowing it to happen so that He could give him much more in its place.

When David’s family heard that he was there, they came to him. Previously, David was not well respected by his family, but they had had a chance to see him prove himself and that the Lord was with him. He was an enemy of Saul, and that meant that they would be too. Also, anyone who was in distress, in debt, or in bitterness of soul began joining David. It is worth noting that they did not come to him when times were good, but when times were bad. These men would stay with David the rest of his life. They obviously had problems of their own, but David took them in anyway. In process of following David as their captain, they would, with the same confidence that David had in God, turn into his mighty men. David could have had a nice start to a rebel army if he had wanted, but he had too much respect for Saul and God’s calling on Saul’s life for that.

After this, David took his parents to the king of Moab, and asked the king to allow them to stay there until he knew what God would do for him. He knew he would be king, but he did not know when or how that would happen, nor did he know what would happen in between that time. David’s parents were old now, and he was honoring them by ensuring they were taken care of. If we recall, David’s great grandmother was Ruth, a Moabitess. His parents remained in Moab as long as David was in the stronghold. In Hebrew stronghold is Masada, and may have been the Masada on the dead sea. While there, the prophet Gad told David to not stay in the stronghold, but to go into the land of Judah. So, David obeyed the word of the Lord through Gad, and went into the forest of Hereth.

After this, the scene shifts back to Saul, who was in Gibeah under a Tamarisk tree with a spear in his hand. Often times when we see Saul, he is holding the weapons of war in his hand. There are definitely times for war, but peace is better when it can be achieved without compromising what is true and right. The apostle Paul wrote, “If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.” (Rom 12:18) Contrary to David who respected Saul and thought it better to be on the run, Saul was an angry and violent man who sought to destroy anyone he perceived as a threat.

He told his servants standing around him, “Hear now, you Benjamites! Will the son of Jesse give every one of you fields and vineyards, and make you all captains of thousands and captains of hundreds? All of you have conspired against me, and there is no one who reveals to me that my son has made a covenant with the son of Jesse; and there is not one of you who is sorry for me or reveals to me that my son has stirred up my servant against me, to lie in wait, as it is this day.” Again, notice the victim mentality and all the blaming of others. Everyone was against him, and had even betrayed him by not telling him that his own son had made a league with David, and had stirred him up to lie in wait for him. Saul was playing off their emotions and family bonds in an attempt to manipulate them into getting what he wanted. No one was against Saul, not even David. David and Jonathan had merely chosen to serve and obey God, and Saul had not. These false accusations were Saul’s way of trying to escape the blame that was accurately due him. Unfortunately, this is all too common for people when they do not want to deal with their own sin, both nonbeliever and believer alike. Saul’s behavior is simply an extreme example of this. When someone lives a lie long enough, they eventually begin to believe it. It could be Saul was paranoid that David was lying in wait for him, but even if that were true, Saul had provoked it.

Then Doeg, the chief of Saul’s herdsmen who was there at Nob when David was, spoke up and said that he had seen David going to Nob, and that Ahimelech had inquired of the Lord for him, gave him provisions, and gave him the sword of Goliath. Then Saul called Ahimelech and all his father’s house to stand before him, and he said, “Why have you conspired against me, you and the son of Jesse, in that you have given him bread and a sword, and have inquired of God for him, that he should rise against me, to lie in wait, as it is this day?” Saul is now extending his false accusations to the priests of the Lord. Ahimelech replied that there was no one as faithful as David among all Saul’s servants, who is his son-in-law and does his bidding. He would have had no reason to inquire of God for David, for he did not know anything about the accusations that Saul was bringing up. Remember, David had lied to Ahimelech about his reasons for being there. Saul said, “You shall surely die, Ahimelech, you and all your father’s house!” Saul was again, either paranoid into believing this was true, he wanted to crush any supposed opposition to discourage anyone else from doing the same, or both. Whatever the case, this was typical tyrant behavior. He ordered his servants to kill all the priests, but to their credit, they would not because they were the priests of the Lord. Then Saul turned to Doeg, and told him to kill the priests. So, Doeg killed 85 priests, and then he struck the city of Nob with the sword, killing everyone along with their livestock. We are told in Psalm 52 that Doeg was a man who trusted in his riches, so he was probably looking for some sort of reward from Saul. Whatever the motive, he was a blood thirsty man who had no regard for the Lord, spiritual leadership, or for that matter human life, and Saul was really no different. Saul was unwilling to kill Goliath, but he was more than willing to kill 85 priests along with their city in cold blood (or have someone else do it for him).

Well, Abiathar, one of Ahimelech’s sons, escaped, and fled to David in the forest. He told David what had happened, and David said, “I knew that day, when Doeg the Edomite was there, that he would surely tell Saul. I have caused the death of all the persons of your father’s house. Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.” David wisely takes the blame here, for his lie played a part in this massacre. He told Abiathar to stay with him, and he would be safe. As one commentator said, “This is a bold claim from a man in a forest. That strength was built in the cave of Adullam.” Abiathar too, would remain faithful to David for the rest of his life. He would later be removed by King Solomon, and it would ultimately be to fulfil the word of the prophet to Eli because of the wickedness of his family, mainly Hophni and Phinehas.

Who do we turn to when things are bad, when we are being stripped of everything we have? Are we like Saul who turned to the people and used guilt and manipulation to get what we want, or are we like David who turned to the Lord. Do we continue to blame others, or do we own our mistakes as David did? Jesus is our Adullam, our place of refuge. It is through Him that we receive salvation and forgiveness, the wisdom of what to do in life, and the strength to do it. David could endure life’s challenges because the Lord was his refuge. “The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.” (Pro 18:10) And, “A man who has friends must himself be friendly, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. (Pro 18:24) And, “For He Himself has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’” (Heb 13:5)

When it comes to conflict, are we willing to back down from a fight when possible, or do we look for a fight and throw spears? I don’t mean literal spears of course, but do we throw spears with our words? When someone insults us, do we respond with a soft answer that turns away wrath, or do we return the insult and then some? I’ll admit that my responses regrettably have been at times more like Saul’s then David’s. However, Peter writes, “Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous; not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing.” (1 Pe 3:8-9) Interestingly, Peter goes on to quote Psalm 34 (when David fled from Gath), “For ‘He who would love life and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips from speaking deceit. Let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their prayers; but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil’.” (1 Pe 2:10-12) Again, peace is not always possible, for some people force us into a situation where we would be opposed to God if we did not stand and fight for what is right. However, if at all possible, as much as it depends on us, let us live at peace with all men. You might say, “David ran because he was outnumbered and scared.” Although this was true in part, we will see later that David will have more than one opportunity to kill Saul and will not. Let us follow the words of Jesus, “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.” (Mat 5:9) In the next chapter we will see David go to battle again with the Philistines.

 

The following are the two Psalms David wrote while in the cave of Adullam:

 

Psalm 57

 

To the Chief Musician. Set to “Do Not Destroy.” A Michtam of David when he fled from Saul into the cave.

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me!

For my soul trusts in You; and in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, until these calamities have passed by. I will cry out to God Most High, o God who performs all things for me. He shall send from heaven and save me; He reproaches the one who would swallow me up. Selah

God shall send forth His mercy and His truth. My soul is among lions; I lie among the sons of men who are set on fire, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be above all the earth. They have prepared a net for my steps; my soul is bowed down; they have dug a pit before me; into the midst of it they themselves have fallen. Selah

My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and give praise. Awake, my glory! Awake, lute and harp! I will awaken the dawn. I will praise You, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing to You among the nations. For Your mercy reaches unto the heavens, and Your truth unto the clouds. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be above all the earth.

 

Psalm 142

 

A Contemplation of David. A Prayer when he was in the cave.

I cry out to the Lord with my voice; with my voice to the Lord I make my supplication. I pour out my complaint before Him; I declare before Him my trouble. When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then You knew my path. In the way in which I walk they have secretly set a snare for me. Look on my right hand and see, for there is no one who acknowledges me; refuge has failed me; no one cares for my soul. I cried out to You, O Lord: I said, “You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living. Attend to my cry, for I am brought very low; deliver me from my persecutors, for they are stronger than I. Bring my soul out of prison, that I may praise Your name; the righteous shall surround me, for You shall deal bountifully with me.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galatians 2 - Crucified with Christ

  In my last post , I wrote about how Paul marveled that the Galatians had so soon turned aside from the grace of Christ to another Gospel...